• Welcome to

    The Russell School


The Russell School’s history began over 170 years ago.

At that time, the Russell family were living at Pembroke Lodge. The site in Richmond Park was made available under a Royal Warrant for the education of the poor. In 1891, Lord Russell's estate and interest in the school site were transferred to the Trustees of The British and Foreign School Society which was originally formed for the advancement of education for the poor.

The newly named Petersham Russell Infant School was damaged beyond repair by enemy action in 1943. Surrey County Council provided new premises for the school to continue while a new school was built. The Orchard Junior School was opened in 1952 and the rebuilt Petersham Russell Infant School in 1954. It is these buildings that used to house The Russell School.

The Russell School was opened as a one-form entry primary school on 1st April 1980. The school was formed with the amalgamation of The Petersham Russell Infant School and The Orchard Junior School. Other buildings were also added to the extensive site.

We are now in a truly exciting phase for the school as our whole school rebuild is complete, we have successfully co-located with Strathmore Special School and can continue to develop our new learning community.

Despite moving and changing, The Russell remains a community school at the very heart of the village.

"The name Russell was chosen for a new village school situated in Richmond Park as Lord John Russell (Prime Minister of Great Britain) founded the school in 1851."